Published: Sunday, 01 December 2013 13:33
***BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE INSTALLED SONY PC COMPANION ON YOUR PC***
HOW TO FLASH STOCK FIRMWARE (.FTF/ROM) ON YOUR XPERIA
Flashtool is a flashing software that can be used to:
- Flash original Images (Android 1.6, 2.1, 2.3 Images)
- Root your phone
- Install Recovery, Busybox, custom kernels
- Clean your Rom (remove /system/apps apps of your choice) (Be careful, unless you really know what you do, do not modify the default list. This can make your phone stuck at the SE Logo)
- Clear dalvik cache
- Optimize (install of JIT v2) (Disabled in 0.4, will readd it as a plugin for 2.1 phones only)
- Customize (installs apps found in the custom/apps folder of the flashtool)
- Clean uninstalled (remove any references to system apps removed in the Clean (root needed) step)
- Edit any text file on the device
- Rebrand your device
(Official text from developer)
Download link: Androxyde flashtool under Installation tab
How does it work?
As you can see, there are several functions. Some of them work for all Xperias, some of them not. But there are two functions which work for every Xperia smartphone - firmware and kernel flashing.
Something for the beginning:
- downloaded .ftf files should be stored in flashtool folder . There's a folder called firmwares -> this is for .ftf files (C:\Flashtool\firmwares)
- connect your Xperia only when flashtool wants it
- ignore when flashtool says "Hold back button," buttons for connecting are specific for every smartphone (list below)
- make a backup before flashing! Use MyPhoneExplorer, PC Companion, apps in your smartphone, whatever you want...
- if flashtool didn't flashed selected firmware, remove battery from your Xperia for five minutes a insert it back. Next connect should be working
Buttons for connection with flashtool:
- Back: ARC (S), NEO (V), PRO, PLAY
- Volume DOWN (-): MINI (pro), RAY, ACTIVE, Live with Walkman, Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia U, Xperia V, Sola
- Menu: ARC (S), NEO (V), PRO
- Search: PLAY
- Volume UP (+): MINI (pro), RAY, ACTIVE, Live with Walkman, Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia U, Xperia V, Sola
What do you need:
- Androxyde flashtool installed (+ drivers for your phone)
- Xperia smartphone
- USB cable for your Xperia
- .ftf file with firmware to flash
How to flash?
- Run flashtool and click on the flash button
- Choose "Flash mode", click "OK"
- From the list on the left select firmware for flashing - BE CAREFUL, if you choose bad firmware you should brick your Xperia!
- On the right side check "No final verification." If you want to delete your data, check both boxes with "Wipe.." If you want to flash only a part of firmware, use the "Exclude.." option in the middle. Don't use it if you don't know what are you doing!
- Click "OK" and wait for instructions to connect your phone
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect your Xperia while holding the button from the list above. Make sure you're using button which you should use! Don't forget you're in flashmode! When the window disappears, release the button.
- Wait until flashtool flashes your firmware. If there's not 100% in the progressbar, it's not done!
- Disconnect your Xperia and turn it on (or make some other changes you want)
You can flash kernels with these extensions: .img, .elf or .sin. For flashing stock kernel use the guide above (for firmware flashing). Remember you need to download kernel file first. Kernels are NOT included in flashtool installation.
- Run flashtool.
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect your Xperia while holding the button for fastboot mode (from the list above)
- Click on the flash button. Choose "Fastboot mode", click "OK"
- On the right side click "Select kernel to Flash" and choose your kernel. Click "Open"
- Move the window right or left to see the log in flashtool window. If it says "OKAY" everything went good.
- Close the Fastboot Toolbox using button on the right, disconnect your Xperia and turn it on.